Thursday, August 20, 2009

Global Warming: The Rattling-China Syndrome




Remember The China Syndrome? The beleaguered hero, Jack Lemmon, has been shot and is lying on the floor of the nuclear power plant. "I feel it", he croaks. Feels what? The vibration of a self-destructing nuclear plant, that's what. Only he feels it -- and he announces apocalyptic doom to the others.

OK. Remember The Hunt for Red October? The hero, Jack Ryan/Alec Baldwin, is flying and the china tea cup and saucer set is rattling due to turbulance.

Got them in your mind?

OK. Fast forward to 2009. The fear of nuclear annihilation at the hands of a) greedy Republican businessmen led by snarling Dick Cheney look-alikes, or b) those Ruskies, has given way to the fear of an overheated planet and an angry, PMS-driven Gaia about to blow her top. The heroine, -- are you following this? -- U.S. Senator Stabenow, is flying and her coffee cup is rattling.

Cue the musical theme "Love Is All Around" by the Troggs.

"I feel it", she croaks, lying prone on the airplane floor, her coffee-cup rattling menacingly. "Feel what?" the stewardess bends over to gently ask. "I FEEL IT!" she croaks. "FEEL WHAT?!!" the flight attendant probes with a tone of alarm. "Gaia -- the globe -- it's WARMING!!!"

GLOBAL WARMING -- I FEEL IT (with apologies to the Troggs)

I feel it in my fingers
I feel it in my toes
I feel it when I'm flying
And so the crisis grows

It's written on the wind
It's everywhere I go
So if you love the planet
Come on and let it snow

You know I believe it, I always will
Turbulence is shaping the way that I feel
A new beginning, or it's the end --
On Greenpeace, friend, you can depend

I see Al Gore before me
As I lay on my bed
And then I get to thinking
If he don't rule, we're dead

You give your credits to me
And I give mine to you
We need off-setting credits
For everything we do

You know I believe it, I always will
Turbulence is shaping the way that I feel
A new beginning, or it's the end --
On Greenpeace, friend, you can depend

It's written in the wind
It's everywhere I go
So if you love the planet
Come on and let it snow
Come on and let it snow
Come on and let it
Come on and let it (come and let it snow, baby)
Come on, come on, come on let it snow baby
Come on and let it snow
Come on and let it snow, baby
Come on and let it snow

No comments:

"... nothing intellectually compelling or challenging.. bald assertions coupled to superstition... woefully pathetic"