Monday, March 08, 2010

My Last Kick At The Winter Olympics Can

I proposed family tobogganing as a new Winter Olympic sport in a previous post; that went nowhere. I'm giving this one last shot.

The Winter Olympics have a lot of weird events. The two-man luge -- what's up with that?! The weirdest, though, is where you a) ski, b) stop skiing, c) shoot a rabbit, d) skin the rabbit, e) cook and eat the rabbit, and then f) continue skiing. This is repeated until you either finish the course or are full.

What do these weird winter Olympic events have in common? They're all Eurocentric. At the Vancouver Olympics, we apparently celebrated aboriginal culture a lot in the opening ceremonies. I try to avoid the opening and closing ceremonies because they have little to do with sport and a lot to do with a pseudo-spiritual, salt-free, religion substitute.

Anyway, here's my last kick at the Winter Olympics can: Dog-sledding.

Dog-sledding. Why not? They ride horses, don't they (in the Summer games)?

Why not have dog-sledding races? Wouldn't that be a genuine winter sport? And wouldn't it celebrate diversity considering its origins? And wouldn't it maybe give Inuit a leg-up on a winter Olympics event?

Anybody else out there think this is a good idea?

Oh sure. You may say that I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one. Some day the world will join me, then the Olympics world will be as one.

Imagine! Dog-sledding -- coming to a Winter Olympics near you.

And that's the way the dog-sledding Ball bounces.

4 comments:

The_Iceman said...

I ran a webpoll on which new winter sport should be in the Olympics. The winner was "pushing smart cars out of 3 inches of snow"

L said...

Dog sledding would be a lot better than the luge. The slalom looked tired against the snow board cross.

BallBounces said...

Pushing Smart Cars -- I like it. Made me think of another one -- pushing those airport carts in three inches of slush.

DeeDee said...

We need more hockey events!

10 minute period hockey, 5 minute period hockey, 3v3 hockey, 4v4 hockey, hockey with no goalie.

Freestyle hockey, syncronized hockey, pairs hockey.

There is like 20 speed skating events, 16 Alpine skiing, and 12 cross country skiing events.


And only 2 hockey events, it's unfair I tell you!

"... nothing intellectually compelling or challenging.. bald assertions coupled to superstition... woefully pathetic"