Saturday, April 24, 2010

Bank Charges While in the US

RBC charges me $5 when I withdraw cash from a US bank machine. Five dollars!

I've found a bit of a way around it. We shop COSTCO. At COSTCO, you pay with your debit card. RBC now charges $1 for using your debit card, a "CROSS BORDER DR FEE".

As you pay at COSTCO, you are asked if you want "cash back". From now on, I do!

That way, I've got a less-expensive way of replenishing my US cash. Subject, of course, to the depletion of my Canadian chequing account.

And that's the way the cheque, er, Ball bounces.

Any other strategies out there?

3 comments:

Mr. Lorne said...

My significant other is American so we have an account with a U.S. bank. Can Canadians open up a U.S. account?

BTW, you didn't mention this, but we've been with President's Choice now for 10 years...FREE accounts and interest. Plus I like CIBC's politics a bit better than those of RBC's VIP's. Just a thought in case you ever decide to shy away from RBC.

BallBounces said...

Yes, Canadians can open a US bank account.

Thanks for the PC info.

Anonymous said...

It better NOT be the check that bounces.

"... nothing intellectually compelling or challenging.. bald assertions coupled to superstition... woefully pathetic"