Saturday, March 31, 2012

Thank God for Big Oil

Fordson Super Major tractor
Fordson Super Major tractor (Photo credit: markpeate)
I love Big Oil. Jobs, taxes, a reliable supply of an efficiently produced product that fuels my lifestyle -- and yours. Thank God for oil in the ground and Big Oil to get it out.

Here's an excerpt from the article cited above:
Single-handedly, oil and gas companies finance over 10 percent of non-defense discretionary spending within the U.S. budget. According to the Wall Street Journal, ExxonMobil, the world’s largest energy firm, paid out $59 billion in total U.S. taxes over the five years prior to 2010 while earning only $40.5 billion in domestic profits.
I'll be riding on the benefits of big oil when we motor east from Phoenix to Toronto -- leaving tomorrow. Right now, I'm scarfing down all the In 'N' Out burgers I can. But, that's another post for another time. Have a good week-end.

2 comments:

Joe said...

Hey that could be a picture of the first tractor I ever drove. It too was a Fordson Major. I was five when I was put at the steering wheel with the instructions of, "don't run over any bales". After I hit the third bale I lost my exulted place.

BallBounces said...

For a farm boy, a tractor is a beautiful thang!

"... nothing intellectually compelling or challenging.. bald assertions coupled to superstition... woefully pathetic"